Monday, March 14, 2011

The 3 Secrets to an Educational Online Marketing Video Campaign

So awhile ago, I started a video series "The 5 Most Common Mistakes that Spiritual Entrepreneurs Make in their Online Marketing Videos that Repel Potential Clients." Below is the 4th mistake. You can see mistake 5 in the post before.



Starting a video campaign like this has taught me 3 important things about what people want to see:
1. Educational videos are valuable, however, they are not that interesting in social media. An educational video campaign is important. You definitely want to create one to establish a relationship with clients and show off your expertise, however, for social media, stick with the fun videos. No one goes on Facebook to be sold something. They want to connect with their friends and see vacation photos. I'm sure you've experienced how social media sites can suck you in even if you got on it to do some business. So because of this lesson, I am led to the other 2 important conclusions for this blog post.

2. Give obvious educational information either in very small bites, like a one line post or a 30 second video, or only when asked for. One way to handle this is to make educational videos one of the free offerings on your website for email capture. You can also use them in your email marketing. People on your email list expect to get tips and information from you. They've asked for it, so using educational video in email marketing is perfect! In general though, keep it off the social media. You can however make videos for social media that will drive people to the educational videos.

3. If you are going to use educational video in social media, disguise it! Give them fun, racy titles on sexy or intriguing topics. Put comments with them that are personal like, "I can't believe I'm telling you this!" Or, "This is what happens when you don't do what Mamma told you!" Though be prepared to deliver on the fun so that they don't feel gipped with they click on the video. So create educational videos that will also fit in the social experience of places like Facebook.

After seeing the dismal amount of views on my first two educational videos, I had an epiphany for a new way to distribute educational videos and make direct sales from it! I'm not ready to reveal it yet, you'll see what I've done in another day or so. It's very exciting stuff and I can't wait to share it with you!

For now, just remember that social media is meant to be just that. The old sales methods won't work there. Your online marketing videos need to blend in with the social platform and focus on serving your clients value they'd want to watch instead of a commercial that is all about your business. Switch the focus of your videos to make it more about sharing and connecting than getting them to take action. Don't worry. They will follow you to the ends of the earth once you've established that relationship. And the beauty of video is how it lets you do that so much faster!

Happy Filming!
Rebecca Cowan
Marketing Video Master

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rebecca, for your pointer on using educational video in the appropriate context. I also find if a video in social media doesn't really pop out and grab or amuse me in the first 30 seconds, I won't watch the whole thing. But if I'm receiving an educational video in a newsletter I subscribed to on a topic I care about, it's a whole different thing. I've never heard anyone make this distinction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,
    nice advice (my personal rhyme for you ;)! I agree, I am on FB mostly because of my friends and family worldwide, people I can't be in touch with on a normal basis, so I use FB for staying in touch. Certainly, I have met many nice people there that are not part of my inner circle, therefore I don't want to be sold. And if someone I like has a product I like, I will get it from them anyways.
    This comes in handy since I am planning to start videos some time soon, awesome!

    Franziska San Pedro
    The Abstract Impressionist Artress

    ReplyDelete